An independent and politically unaffiliated research institution, the Association for Interactive Democracy is dedicated to scientific research in the field of democratic and social processes, as well as related areas. The use of electronic media, in particular, is at the center of its interests. It promotes inter- and multidisciplinary cooperation on a national and international level. The association rejects discrimination of any kind, and is charitable under the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany.
The association promotes science, research, and education, as well as development cooperation, in particular in areas such as:
- Algorithms for deliberation and decision-making,
- Electronic decision-making in democratic contexts,
- Structured deliberation and collective moderation,
- Transitive transfer of voting rights,
- Electoral and voting systems, social choice theory,
- Distributed ledger technologies and artificial intelligence,
- Inclusion and democratic self-organization,
- Democratic knowledge management,
- Accreditation and user management,
- Constituency participation and civic engagement,
- Polarization, conflict management and social cohesion.
Our activities include:
- Implementation of and participation in scientific events, multidisciplinary research projects and educational events, such as research consortia, guest lectures and courses, webinars, as well as workshops,
- Cooperation and maintenance of relationships with national and international organizations and associations, such as intergovernmental organizations, state organizations, regional authorities, universities, and foundations,
- Exchange of information and opinions, as well as discourse between experts in the disciplines concerned, such as computer science, mathematics, media studies, philosophy, psychology, and sociology,
- Development cooperation, for example lectures, workshops, and pilot projects in the Global South,
- Technical information through scientific publications, such as publication of specialist articles and scripts, editing of scientific scripts, journals and books,
- Professional advice to legislative and administrative bodies, as well as other public or public welfare institutions, such as cities, municipalities, and other regional authorities,
- Promotion of the understanding of democratic and social processes,
- Public relations.